Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Emotional Exhaustion

So this was supposed to be the ranting post against the horror that happened two nights ago in Manchester, England.  I had worked myself up about it all day, ready with fire and brimstone (and a polite redirection for those that did not want to participate in an unusual current events post).

And then I got to point of writing it, and found that I am too emotionally exhausted to do it.

 I think this may have finally overloaded whatever was left of my "Give a D*mn" gene.  Making war against little girls and young women is both despicable and deplorable.  But then again, sacrificing them at some level for the cultural narrative of pluralism is also despicable and deplorable.

Sadly, the usual round of has come to be our outrage will cycle through again:  flowers, stuffed animals, cards, candles and vigils.  Raids will be conducted - too late for the victims of course - and angry discourse about how we can never have this happen again will be spouted forth.

In reality, of course, precisely nothing has been accomplished.

And this is where my emotional exhaustion stems from.

Do not mistake me:  I care.  I do care deeply.  But I cannot continue to care as we have apparently entered a cycle in which we see these attacks, see their devastation, bemoan the injured and dead - and then effectively do nothing, waiting for the cycle to occur again.

I used to wonder how many would have to die before we finally got serious about the issue.  What I find is that in fact we never intend to get serious about it.

The world is on fire.  And I simply cannot muster the emotional strength to care anymore.  All I can do is weep.

5 comments:

  1. At this point, I'm afraid, things have gone too far. We can do nothing about the tsunami but get to higher ground...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right you are, Pete. Another fine post, TB, and one I wrote almost word for word this morning - and then deleted it. I can't even bring myself to weep anymore.

      I hate to say it but - Kim is right on the money with this and getting "righter" with each passing outrage, mass murder and atrocity:

      http://www.kimdutoit.com/2017/05/24/despair-and-rage/

      Delete
    2. Yes, I think you are right Pete. Sadly. Interestingly enough, I originally had included a line about watching the fires burn from higher ground because there was nothing else to be done. Seems we were channeling...

      Thanks Glen. This is not the article I intended to write - my original one was full of anger and a call for action, but I do not have the heart any more.

      It is when things are no longer cared about or for that they finally succumb. It appears we have already reached the point, perhaps faster than I could have anticipated.

      Delete
  2. On another point, if I may, potatoes. If you click on my name, it will take you to my profile. Click on my blog, and my latest post will show you how easy it is to grow them. If you're interested, that is.

    It is hard to be concerned when the people in power don't care. More than one elected official (both here in the U.S. and overseas) has basically said, "This is the new normal. Get used to it." Well, what if I don't want to get used to it?

    All I can do is sigh, thank God that He keeps us safe, and pray for those who were injured or lost people.

    You be safe and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link Linda!

      I would concur with you that it seems as if there is little (if any) interest in fighting this any more. The only way to adjust, I suppose, is to simple be removed from it.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!